For Starting A Blog
So this is blog post is actually a little different to my usual one. But since it’s only recently I went through it I thought I would share what I had learned. In the hopes that you can learn from it to if you’re thinking of starting your own blog.
Blogging can be a great tool for many reasons whether it is self-improvement, awareness or even just to make money. But where do you start?
Here are the ten things I either did or wish I had done when starting my own blog. This way you can have a few stepping stones to take.
- Although it is a good idea to have a ‘niche’ or a particular subject matter. I found that giving my blog a couple of subjects I can bounce around means I rarely get stuck for ideas. I have a lot of choice for blog posts and that’s great because it keeps my blog fresh. My ‘niches’ are obviously Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle.
- Research and decide a blog site you’re happy to use. Even make a mock account to delete later to have a test run to see if it suits your needs. It is really important you’re comfortable using the platform your blog will be on. I am not the best when it comes to website building so I opted to WordPress who host my page for me. You can, of course, build your own website if that’s in your skill set. If it’s not there are lots of sites that offer templated blog sites you can build on.
- Decide if you are going to put ANY money into your blog. For a number of reasons as some blog hosting sites charge for better options such as SEO management etc. Also if you’re going to buy a domain name?
- Get your domain name sorted straight away and make sure to research how to do this if you’re not sure. I went through GoDaddy for mine and I have found that a lot of companies only allow blogs with their own domain name to apply for opportunities. It is obviously because it makes your blog more professional and that’s what you want. Plus it also gives your blog its identity and that is the most important thing!
- Decide how often you would like to post as this will give you a schedule to work to and this will make your blogging life easier for sure. But don’t be too hard on yourself if you miss it just don’t rush it! Quality over quantity 100% in the blogging world always keep this in mind.
- Write a minimum of 6 blog posts BEFORE your site is live. This means as long as you routinely write you will always have extra posts if you need them! This is something I realllllly wish I had at the start of my blogging journey. I was just so excited I jumped right in. This would have saved me a few late nights for sure (lol).
- Check out other blogs that inspire you and write a list of the reasons why you like it, Perhaps you can apply your own twist to these. I’m not saying copy obviously but I am always inspired by other bloggers. Whether it be a picture that inspires an outfit or a blog post that inspires a makeup look!
- Google will be your best friend! I have been blogging nearly 18 months now and there has been so much technical stuff I have had to learn and it really was a shock as I’m not great at it (lol). Here is a small starter list of topics to google and read up on, I really hope it helps,
I will tell you this really is the tip of the iceberg but these are key to GROWING your blog and getting people reading it!
- Put designated time aside to blog! I mean I do get it done at various points when I can as I have young children but I usually use evenings to get some done. I also usually use Sunday mornings to get a lot of stuff done. Such as writing any posts I can or take the pictures I need to. Catching up on emails and networking etc. But having time put aside to just focus on it can be very productive.
- Make sure it’s fun! I mean if you’re choosing to start a blog it should be because it’s fun right!? Well, I think this is where a lot of people fail at blogging and that’s when they get to just over a year point! Where I am at now! They start to get bored and give up, however, I still love it. Yes, some days I may be finding ideas a bit dry but inspiration soon comes. Make sure your blog is about something you genuinely have an interest in so you don’t become bored.
So, there you have it my loves. If you have been thinking of delving into the blogging world then there are few tips for you! I will say that blogging takes a lot more work than you might expect but I really have to say it is 100% apart of my life now.
Do you think you might have what it takes to be a blogger? What would/is your blog about? Let me know in the comments and if you want to you can check out my social media pages and come say hi!
Lots of Love,